United States Coast Guard Auxiliary - Department Of Homeland Security  
Home Visitor's Home Page Member's Home Page Privacy Policy Disclaimer Contact Us
Today's Date
 

Flotilla History

Casco Bay Flotilla Logo

United States Coast Guard Auxiliary

auxline image

History of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary by J ohn A. Tilley
Department of History - East Carolina University

auxline image

USCG Temporary Reserves      1942-1945

USCG Auxiliary               1945-1969 

A history compiled from newspapers and documents   

Collected by James L. Williams, SM 3c

 Complied by Vernon A. Clarkson, USCG Auxiliary, Flotilla 201 

The history of Flotilla 201 began on November 13, 1942, when the unit was formed during World War II. Initially the unit had three members and was known as Flotilla 201 of the United States Coast Guard Temporary Reserve. All members were volunteers who served with neither pay nor uniform allowance. Members were scheduled for duty as their time allowed. Each member could resign from the duty at any time, but it is to their credit that most put in hundreds of duty hours. Some members gave 5000 hours during the war years from 1942 to 1945.

In the ensuing years the membership roll increased until, in June 1944, there were 529 active members. Before the mustering out of the unit on June 26, 1945, approximately 800 active members were on duty.

The duties of the volunteers increased as their membership, skills and proficiency increased. In 1942 members were asked to assist the Coast Guard in waterfront security. They usually patrolled on foot in civilian clothes armed with a web belt and a nightstick. By December 1942, all waterfront guard duties were assigned to the Temporary Reserve.

In April of 1944 the reserves formed a 16, member band which grew to 30 plus members. The band was active in parades, military functions and entertainments.  All of this was at members’ time and expense.

At the mustering out ceremony on September 13, 1945, the unit’s commanding officer, Lt. Frank Soule, said, “You built this organization into a dependable and loyal unit which, more than any of you will ever know, helped to back the men on the fighting fronts and bring this war to a successful and early termination.”

Members of the Temporary Reserve were given the privilege of being disenrolled or to continue on inactive status. Most elected inactive status, and they formed part of the USCG Auxiliary.

It should be noted that the Flotilla was first called "Flotilla 201" and was so at the time the history pages were written.

Links to more history items are on the menu.   This page is the History Home page.

auxline image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

          
     Casco Bay Flotilla 2-1
 Visitor's Home Page
    Boating Courses
      Course Start Dates
      Course Schedules
      Children's Safe Boating
      National Course Finder
    Vessel Safety Check
      Safety Check Request
      Safety Check Schedule
    Join Us
      Request Form
      Academy Introduction
      Recruitment Assist
    Operations
    Flotilla History
     Notes 1945 -1955
     Notes 1956 -1960
     Notes 1961 -1969 
     Log Line
     Past Commanders
     National History Links
    Links
Security Levels